NPP youth group wants Lower Manya MCE sacked

0
Leaders of the youth group address the press

A youth group within the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) in the Lower Manya Krobo Municipality of the Eastern Region have threatened to vote against the party in 2024, should the current Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) of the area, Simon Kwaku Tetteh, be re-appointed by the President.

According to the group, the MCE was a major reason why the party lost woefully to the NDC in the constituency in the December 7 2020 general elections.

They are therefore appealing to President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to appoint a different person for the position to ensure fair distribution of development in the area.

Failure

Addressing a press conference in Somanya on Tuesday, the spokesperson of the group, Anthony Banderas Osabutey, said the MCE had been “a complete failure” since his appointment. He alleged that Mr Tetteh neglected the NPP grassroots, and rather engaged members of the opposition NDC in his activities.

“He barely involves constituency executives in his community activities. Since his appointment, he has completely lost touch with the base of the party, a reason why the party polled some 3,039 votes which is about 50% slashed compared to the 2016 elections.

“The party again lost 16 polling stations out of 24 in Kpongunor/Nuaso zone and surprisingly this is where the MCE comes from,” he said.

He added that the MCE goes around projecting himself above the President in the area, stressing that most of the projects undertaken by the central government in the last four years in the municipality were not credited to the President.

The group further accused the MCE of poorly handling a stand-off that ensued between the people in the area and the defunct PDS. They stated that the MCE’s poor handling of the issue made the party unattractive in the area, leading to the loss of some votes in the general election.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here