After the end of the deadlock between the government and the Ghana Football Association (GFA) over Black Stars coach Milovan Rajevac, the Executive Council of the Association has finally decided to part ways with him.
Reports on the Association’s portal on Wednesday evening said a decision had been taken to relieve him of duty
“This follows the receipt of the Technical Report from the Coach, the Medical Report and the Report from the Management Committee following Ghana’s early exit from the Africa Cup of Nations Cameroon 2021 tournament,” said the report on the GFA portal.
The Association said the Executive Council, after considering the three reports and engagements with key stakeholders, had decided to end its relationship with Coach Milovan Rajevac, and also decided that the Black Stars Management Committee be reconstituted.
The FA thanked the Serbian, who was on a second spell with the 2010 World Cup quarter-finalists, wishing him well in his future endeavours, as well as the Management Committee.
Meanwhile, Ghana’s next assignment is a FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 playoff against Nigeria in March 2022.
End of speculation
There were wide speculations on Saturday January 22, 2022, a day after a crucial meeting of the GFA and the Minister of Youth Sports, that Milovan Rajevac had been sacked.
The Ministry of Youth and Sports had met with the leadership of the Ghana Football Association on Friday, January 21, to discuss issues relating to the poor performance of the senior national team, the Black Stars, at the ongoing 2021 AFCON.
A statement signed by the sector Minister, Mustapha Ussif, said, “the entire country is extremely disappointed by the abysmal performance and early exit of the Black Stars from the ongoing 2021 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon, and the Ministry of Youth and Sports shares in the nation’s sentiment.”
According to the statement, the Ministry was disappointed that after so much was invested in the team, their performance was nothing to write home about.
“With the government providing the team all the needed logistical and financial support including resources for preparation and participation in the qualifier stage to the tournament and eventually a pre-tournament camping in Qatar, the ministry is particularly disappointed in the team’s performance,” it had added.
The Ministry had assured that it was committed to taking urgent steps to ensure that the Black Stars was restored to its status as a symbol of national pride for all Ghanaians and a powerhouse of African football.
The Black Stars failed to advance from the group stage in the tournament, after losing 3-2 to Comoros in its final game in Group C. The team exited the tournament with a point. They also lost to Morocco in their opening game and drew with Gabon in their subsequent game
Since Ghana’s maiden appearance at Sudan 1957, this is the first time they have crashed out of the group stage without winning a match. They last failed to progress from their AFCON group in 2006.