A fire outbreak has razed down several shops at Asawasi Bombay, a popular wood market in the Asokore Mampong Municipal Assembly of the Ashanti region.
The fire, which occurred on Thursday February 3, 2022, destroyed over 30 shops, which according to the wood dealers, worth over GH¢100,000 of goods.
A victim, Mr Ahmed Awal Tahiru, disclosed that several sawmill machines got burnt in the inferno.
According to him, they have lost a lot property and other monetary losses which cannot be quantified, lamenting the difficulty of jumping back to business.
“Three huge sawmill machines, costing GH¢20,000, got burnt in the fire. We did our best to quench the fire, but it got out of hand. The blaze was too hot for us to get close. It is sad that we couldn’t do anything to save the situation,” Mr Tahiru narrated.
Eyewitnesses say four fire tenders were deployed to the area before the fire was brought under control.
They said similar fire outbreak had happened before at the wood market but did not escalate like this incident.
“About 20 police officials were also deployed to the area to control the crowd for the smooth operation of fire officers, as a number of residents rushed to the area to catch a glimpse of the blazing fire,” some of the eyewitnesses said.
Meanwhile, preliminary investigations by the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) have disclosed that the fire was sparked by some garbage set on fire close to the area.
The Commander for Manhyia Fire Command, DO1 Amos Abban, said they had launched thorough investigation into the matter.
He called on residents of the area and the affected victims to volunteer any information that will help them arrive at better conclusion in their investigations.
In a related development, a fire incident has also destroyed goods within the central business district of Kumasi.
Eyewitnesses say that five grocery shops were burnt in the fire that started around 3.50pm on Friday February 4 at Adum.
According to eyewitness account, property owners looked on helplessly as their wares were destroyed by the fire. Meanwhile, the Fire Service personnel of the area are yet to ascertain the actual cause of the fire.
Wood shops burnt at Asawase